RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pitts Model 12
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pitts Model 12

The plane will tend to yaw on you as you are running it up.

I replaced the tail gear with cheap ( $1.98!!! ) tail gear combos from Tower Hobbies, and this is MUCH better with the YAW.

This does two things...

1 - The plane sits more level than with the included gear. That causes the rudder to have more authority initially causing less yaw.

2 - The gear can be adjusted to give the plane just a bit of tendancy to travel to the right with the elevator centered. This helps to counteract the remaining yaw.

I'd also suggest leaving OFF the wheelpants until you are quite comfortable with the plane.

I put 3" Foam wheels on mine and it has no trouble landing or taking off from grass this way.... remember to always hold a bit of up elevator while on grass though.

I mounted my Tower .46 engine inverted with an anti-vibration mount.

The plane comes in just a bit heavier than indicated, but it has no problems.

As you build it, do ANYTHING you can to maximize aileron movement. IMHO as it comes there is not quite enough...

You can always dial down the throws with any computer controlled radio.

Epoxy the wing strut "tabs" into the wing... but make sure you get the heights of the holes all exactly the same on each wing, and determine exactly the height of the holes by dry fitting the struts.

It's easier to affix the struts and affix the carbine to the TOP of the wing, then check the alignments BEFORE drilling the holes for the carbine bottom screws. Remember to CA ALL of these screw holes as they will take a lot of abuse.

Re-inforce the wood around the landing gear areas too.