RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fuel vs. Electric: A Pro's & Con's List
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 AM
acarter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel vs. Electric: A Pro's & Con's List

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.

I have been keeping a logbook on my .60 size electric plane. I was interested in seeing just how long the batteries last and also it helps me rotate the three packs to equalize the wear. So far I have 208 logged flights on the plane plus a few extra flights done before I started the log. So far, each battery pack has about 70 logged flights and they still perform almost like new. My transmitter countdown timer is set for 10 minutes but I have flown a few minutes longer on occasion when the runway was not clear to land. Not flying to the esc low voltage cutoff point and checking current with an ampmeter after putting a different prop on the motor to make sure I'm not over-amping makes for trouble-free electric flying.
I think a lot of the "my lipo was toast after 25 flights" horror stories come from people who don't think they need an ampmeter and fly until the low voltage cutoff forces them to land. If you need an oven mitt to handle your battery after a flight, you are probably abusing it.
People who think they don't need a amp/watt meter also fry a lot of ESCs and motors.

I wasn't trying to say that glow is cheaper, I was just making a point that an equal size electric plane isn't really a whole lot, if any cheaper in the long run. As agexpert said gassers (gasoline) are the cheapest in the long run, Although you can spend a lot more on a gasser. The fuel is about 3.50 a gallon. . I just maidened my first gasser last week and I'm loving it.

Austin