RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airplane on a Treadmill
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airplane on a Treadmill

I just looked at the video and true to the history of our modern media...............

They first sit a model airplane on a conveyor belt at a set speed. Blows the hypothesis right out the window with that.

And they also said they'd not seen anyone else actually put an airplane on a conveyor belt. Guess when they were reading all the contentious argument on the internet they didn't see the links to the video that showed a model airplane on a conveyor belt.

And if you look at the landing gear on their airplane, you'll instantly recognize that their test vehicle destroys the validity of the test. No way that crappy gear comes close to not biasing the results. With the wheels splayed and the tires dragging and not having any hope of freewheeling, the drag of that system also crops up in their test when it's not a part of the original joke.

First time I looked at the video it appeared to fade to black at that point so I clicked off. Well, I looked again and there is a 2nd half of the video where they have a tiny fullscale airplane at an airport sitting on a long tarp. They got a truck that is going to pull the tarp in one direction while the homebuilt goes in the other.

Jeez, I've got to admit that their credibility took a huge hit with that video. Their tests really have little real connection to the original problem. But if it attracts viewers what do they care.