RCU Forums - View Single Post - a123 batteries or???.......
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: a123 batteries or???.......

To clarify, I said I have run the ECU on 12 volts. By that I mean the ECU alone with nothing attached to it and certainly not running an engine at the time... In other words, don't take that as an OK from me to start promoting them in another market segment. That's just when I power it up to interface with a PC for programming, and I happen to not have a charged ECU pack around. Normally I program them while running on the stock 7.2 volt pack. I can not guarantee the other hardware attached to the ECU will function properly long term should the voltage be increased. (with the propane solenoid leading the way in my opinion.) I did not design the ECU so I don't know what effect it may have on the RPM board, optional fuel shutoff solenoid, etc. Also of note, as the ECU's driving voltage is increased the resolution of the pump's control decreases. This means a less precise throttle curve, but that's of secondary importance vs. the potential issues spoken of earlier. The highest voltage I have run an engine off was from an 8.4V ni-cad pack.

I'm sure these packs are good products according to the numbers you're promoting them with, but there's an important message here. That is again, these packs are not currently qualified for PST's engines. User's experiencing problems can not expect us to answer 99.999% of any issues brought on by them, nor will any warranty coverage be available should a user damage any part of his/her hardware in experimentation... Its a bit of a hard message, but necessary with untested equipment and technical products.

Kelly