RCU Forums - View Single Post - WINGSPAN AND WING ROOT TO PRODUCE LIFT AT WHAT SPEED WITH A WEIGHT OF
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Craig-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WINGSPAN AND WING ROOT TO PRODUCE LIFT AT WHAT SPEED WITH A WEIGHT OF

If you don't mind a slower top speed, there is a third way to steepen a glide slope. Use a lower pitch, higher diameter prop. It will give a better air-brake effect than a higher pitch, lower diameter prop. Maybe that fits under the "air-brake" category mentioned above. If you have to input down elevator to dive toward the runway on final approach, you are not flying near the stall speed and are too fast to attempt a landing without "float." If you are set up properly and at the right airspeed for final, the plane will settle down toward the runway naturally. Practice flying near the stall speed at high altitude so that you are not surprised by any tip stall tendencies that the aircraft may have and get used to the more sluggish control response at slow speeds. If there is a wind, I like to practice slow flight by heading into the wind and trying to achieve zero ground speed. It's just a fun challenge to explore the slow end of an aircraft's flight envelope and I've found it really helps me with landings because it teaches me to gage how close I am to the stall speed by noticing how much elevator and throttle I need to hold altitude near the stall.