RCU Forums - View Single Post - More Hyper 8 diff questions
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 PM
mrbonk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: More Hyper 8 diff questions

ORIGINAL: Da Smak

When you filled the diffs, did you put them back in the right ends?
Yeah....I did them one at a time as I dismantled and slowly cleaned the entire car up.

The oil in the centre diff was basically non-existent. Just a dark coloured 'paste' that didn't even drip out of the casing when I tipped the planetary gears etc out. Consequently, the bevel gears have some obvious wear now [:'(] The front and rears weren't much better, but the gears are all still fine.

The alterations to the car have definitely improved the turn-in and the on-power steering, but it's just too loose in the rear end now. Uncontrollably fishtailing down the straight at full noise is funny to watch, but not much good for respectable lap times . Once it's up to speed it's fine, but if I have to make steering adjustments while it's still not getting full traction, it starts fishtailing much too easily.

Before I did the rebuild, I could hammer the throttle out of a corner and it would push the front badly, but basically be very easy to steer/control, even while it was spinning all 4 wheels. Something between that and what I've got now would be ideal