RCU Forums - View Single Post - GREAT PLANES FLATOUTS
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 AM
wedgewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GREAT PLANES FLATOUTS

I fly mine outside with 7.5s and I have carried a camera, and often a 3 cell 2100 lipo. this plane can carry cargo if it is flown right. You would never do that for the Gym-Gram-Guys and they would cringe at the mention of it which is why i have to mention that I fly mine outdoors. If you have three 6 gram servos and you are worried about the weight 4 paperclips would have on the performance of the aircraft, by all means use the 6 gram ones.

You asked about wing mods, if you scroll back to a previous post of mine I talked about ones I do for these planes that would be recommended if you were going to fly outside where "ginger landings" on grass are rare and these are not meant to take aircraft carrier landings, which is why I placed some foam squares under the wing where the landing gear go through the wing on my RCU Bipe

where the carbon rod stops, I place a plastic zip-tie with the connector cut off and glue it along the exposed leading and side edge. if you are not sloppy you can use (yes, I am going to say it) hot glue. you don't need a huge zip tie and they sell thin ones at places like home depot or other stores. I included a shot with a leading edge view to show what I am talking about. This plane is almost two years old an has been beat up more times outside and is still a blast to fly. In the picture I noticed some aileron bends, and I plan on building another one of the winter, but will keep flying this one till the big one takes it away. with the wing mods and foam under the wing for the landing gear I have never had a wing crack, torn, or gear slash through the flight surface.

the zip tie edges are also a good idea to run along high stress areas of the body of the aircraft top and bottom edges. if you are flying outside, you will always have wind, and if you put a good deal of stress on them into a wind, you will hear a crack or see an elevator half pop off (good news is the plane flies fine with one until you get it back down). those were events that happened prior to the mods, and my first plane did not last the season ( I was doing silly things with it).

Again, these are things you would want to do to fly outside. This thing does not weigh a ton either so go big with those extra 1.5 gram servos, it will help in the wind

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95933.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	850931