View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cox Pica 1/5 Scale Waco ARF

ORIGINAL: mobyal

ORIGINAL: Tripp2loo

Guys, everyone is right about those wheel pant collors, they will come apart. They are not soldered but glued [:'(]

I am lucky, mine came apart during engine testing on the ground, so no plane damage. I cleaned the surfaces up with the dremel and soldered them, and they seem to be pretty strong now.

Just a warning, if they haven't broke on you yet, THEY WILL.. fix 'em well you can...
Gonna vent a little bit here. [:@] [:'(]
These d**ned wheel pant attachments are a real PITA. This is something that should have taken about 90 seconds per wheel to attach, but one fell apart in my hands as I was tightening the mounting screws. I have tried everything I know to do to reattach the wheel collar (brass) to the metal plate. JB Weld, epoxy, clean the metal on both surfaces, solder with a torch several times, and I can't get the collar and plate reattached.
One of mine came apart during the build, but it was very easy to solder back with a 60 watt iron. It is doing well after lots of touch and go landings.

Probably worth replacing these wheel pant retainers with some similar sized Dubro giant scale wheel pant hardware of better quailty, though.