RCU Forums - View Single Post - New SV Gassers
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New SV Gassers

ORIGINAL: freeonthree

But what about the rpm range that I want to be in at full throttle, restrained ? Do you agree with the 6500 to 7500 for the most torque from your experience. As I said, im at 8200 right now. What have you read on the 26's about that ? Im afraid that im reving it higher than necessary, and missing out on some power because of it.

------------

I'm an old schooler that doesn't believe in choking down two-stroke engines - gas or glow. Let'em rev. However, today we must be noise conscious, especially with gas two-strokes, so experimentation is definitely a good idea. If you can pull more prop at a lower rpm, your sound numbers should drop considerably. In the video, yours sounds great to a two-stroke model flyer, but it was awfully loud and would get you in trouble at some of the flying fields around here.

The fastest, high revving gas two-strokes utilize rotary valves. The SV engines are equipped with reed valves. These are usually used for a strong midrange or bottom end torque. There is no absolute correlation between intake types, however.

Your SV-26 sounds really great in your Super Stearman 1.20. Experimentation is great, but I'd say that you were probably very close to optimum power as it is. But if you can find a satisfactory compromise in a larger prop that lowers volume, it will have to be a good move.

Ed Cregger