RCU Forums - View Single Post - Will Lanier still be around
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will Lanier still be around

I have no inside information, but I can't imagine that Great Planes bought Lanier just to bury them. The problem that Great Planes has is that a lot of the Lanier and Goldberg product lines overlap with their own. I believe you'll see many Lanier products get cut, but some of the classics like the Stinger and Shrike should be around for a very long time to come.

Goldberg products will likely see a similar "thinning out" process, but I can't imagine anyone buying Goldberg and then discontinuing classics like the Tiger 2, Tiger 60, or Skylark when they don't directly compete with any Great Planes products.

Great Planes is going to have to figure out how to define their ARF/Kit brands (Hobbico, Great Planes, Lanier, Goldberg) in the same way that General Motors struggles to define their car brands (Chevy, Pontiac, GMC, Buick, Cadillac, Saturn, Hummer). If one of the brands ends up as redundant (Oldsmobile and Buick), then Great Planes will likely just scrap the weakest selling brand.

There's no reason why Great Planes couldn't scrap a brand name but release a "Great Planes Stinger" or "Great Planes Tiger 60" at some point. The best thing you can do to make sure that your favorite plane stays in production is to keep ordering it.