RCU Forums - View Single Post - Another new pileosticks fun-fly design
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2002, 08:10 PM
pileosticks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new pileosticks fun-fly design

The wing and horiz stab/elev were "borrowed" from an unfortunate Morris Knife. The rest of the plane was built from about $20.00 worth of sticks and ply. I like to think of the plane as a cross between a Gee-Bee and an Edge. Tall, thin fuse with a sorta "stand way-way off scale" edge profile.

Specs:
Wingspan 44"
wing chord 13" (plus an additional 4" for ailerons)
fuse length 36" (plus an additional 6" for rudder)
fuse height 11" at the highest point (right behind the canopy)
fuse width 3" at the firewall
Motor MVVS .49 w/mini tuned pipe
weight approx. 4.5-4.75lbs (haven't weighed it yet with all the gear and covering, but that should be about right)

Stab is on the engine thrustline, wing is slightly below the thrustline.
2 hitec hs425bb servos in the rear (elev and rudder) 2 hitec hs425bb in the wing (ailerons/flapperons) and one hitec hs300 under the fuel tank (throttle)
JR 6v 700mah battery in the rear of the fuse (had to put it there to get the CG on the main spar, will adjust as necessary)
I have a black canopy from a global ultimate bipe that fits perfectly, still trying to figure out what to use for a cowl. I was thinking of cutting up one of those plastic motor oil bottles, I have to get one and check the dimensions.
My friend Rickc2009 is covering it tonight, transp. blue and white.
I don't know doodely about aerodynamics, but i'm hoping that all that side area will give me some great knife edge flight and possibly a knife edge harrier? It should be flying by next monday. I'll let you know how it goes!