RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Engine Break In
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: New Engine Break In

Leaning your oil down to avoid having to wipe the plane down after a day of flying seams pretty ridiculous to me.

Sorry, "ridiculous" was the nicest thing I could think of. I can't post what I REALLY think of that logic.

I've been trying to stay out of this one, but I just can't do it anymore.

Here is how I break in a new gas engine:
Husqvarna chainsaw oil mixed at 32:1

Start it up and adjust the high end for peak RPM. Back it off the thickness of 2 screwdriver blades or until it will just barely fart and pop once about every 10-15 seconds while running wide open. I know thats rich, but not enough to create a bunch of sludge inside the engine.

Adjust the low end for peak RPM and back it up until it loses about 100RPM. Should transition cleanly.

Now go fly the **** out of it.

I vary the throttle settings and mostly just fly circles and loops for the first 2 or 3 gallons. Cruise around in circles at 1/2 throttle. Climb slowly to high altitude and then throttle back to idle. Dive at a 45* angle and throttle up to full power on the bottom. Fly it around in circles wide open for a couple minutes. Back off to low throttle and loaf around for 4 or 5 minutes.

The whole point is to heat it up and cool it down. Full power for a few minutes and the glide around at low power to cool it. Back to full power or 3/4 power for a bit and then glide around or dive in to cool it off at idle or 1/4 throttle.

After about 5 or 6 gallons, I cut back to 40:1. Same oil. Been doing that for a LOT of gallons and I ain't jacked one up yet.

Seriously guys, it's not that hard. If it was rocket science, there would be a lot of broke lumberjacks in the world. Y'all are making it WAAAAAY to complicated.

Edit:

Okay, not ALL of you are making it too complicated. Just some of you.