RCU Forums - View Single Post - Meerkat outdoes itself.. 194mph!
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Scorpion Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Meerkat outdoes itself.. 194mph!

Ok, I am not a self proclaimed expert, but I am a current SEMPRA pylon racer and fly with the likes of the Freemans, Bridges, Vachlavs and some others you might have heard about. (I even see Dave Norman sometimes) I see 424, 428, 422 and FAI equipment fly and know what speed looks like. 180's sound a little high for you? This Meerkat is smaller than my Scorpion (My original design I won the 2007-424 SEMPRA season with...), has a much thinner fuse, thinner wing and weighs a pound less. Not to mention the engine is a .50! The rpm's are consistent with 428 numbers, which would put it in the speed range quoted. Smaller, lighter, an ungodly sounding unload in the air... It was there ... I launched it ... I know it was between a 428 and FAI speeds.

If you guys doubt the speeds of a Q500 style plane, look up a race in your area and actually attend an event. Who knows, maybe you will learn something, or figure maybe you should put your equipment on the line and race head to head with others who really do "go fast". If you notice an important fact here, all the pylon racers are offering support and praise for his efforts because they know something about it. That is what pylon is all about; speed, consistency and having fun in this sport. We all will help anyone with any bit of information we have to help.

The rest of you "Speed Freaks" need to get your stuff in the air and come out to play. I think anyone can run fast for a couple of passes, lets see how you deal with traffic!!!