RCU Forums - View Single Post - Giant Telemaster Build
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM
jbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant Telemaster Build

Hey Mothy,
I used the 64 wheel pant because I wanted something longer rather than taller. The wheel pants are just shells, you have to cut them to allow the axles to got through them. Therefore you can adjust the amount of wheel that his exposed. In my case I fly off pavement so I set them up for 1.5" of wheel below the pant. If you are flying off grass you may want to just forget the wheel pants?
I used the Ohio products tailwheel for 35 pound planes. Its probably not necessary for something that strong but what the heck.
I sheeted with 1/4" because it was easy. When you get the plans you will see that the front half of the fuse (top, bottom) is sheeted with 1/4" and then the back half has 1/4 x 1/2 stringers. The easiest thing to do was take the 1/4" all the way back. If you use something thinner you will need to put adequated stringers to get you to the 1/4" thickness so you match up with the front sheeting. Hopefully I'm making this somewhat clear.
Again, once you get the plans you will see the fuse is built with a longeron on the top and bottom and one down the center, the center one goes through the firewall clear out to the nose. I added a additional longeron on either side of this center one. So I have the one between the top and center and bottom and center. These longerons go to the 1/2" triangle blocks in the mid section. Take a look at Randy's pics on page 2 or 3 of this thread and you can visualize what I'm saying by looking at his fuse that is build per plans.
You could lighten the tail some by moving the rudder servo to the main fuse and using pull pull. You could also not sheet the fuse and instead use cross supports in 1/4 x 1/2 sticks to stop the twist. But, I'm lazy and decided to just sheet the entire thing. You also need to remember this isn't a Extra. Its a slow flying trainer basically. A bunch of ballast is not even noticed in this bird with its massive lifting capacity. I have even a better idea though, why not just put a G80 twin gasser in the nose? If you gotta add ballast why not put in some more power!
Keep us posted on your progress, Jerry.