RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gas Engines
Thread: Gas Engines
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:19 PM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas Engines

Correct him ? Huh ? about what ? Im on 72.450 (ch 33). I said it was a good article.
Im not saying he's wrong, im simply saying that I havn't had a problem with my spacing between system components, thats all. All of his info there was good, and had I thought about it, I may have done my setup differently. None of the two systems wireing cross over or around each other, I made sure of that, and so far, the only glitch i've had was due to a bad Traxxas 2055 servo I had on my throttle in the beginning.
Brison recomends full synthetic at 80 to 100:1, but i've been told that will damage my engine. Yeah right... Ive also been told, and read somewhere that my 6 volt NiMH battery will roast my CDI box because the the voltage is over 6 when it's fully charged, more nonsense. I've been told that I should use a voltage regulator, and Tom said it's best not to use them, I agree with Tom. Ive never heard of anything roasting because it got an extra volt or even 2. I have been a mechanic my whole life, and I also have a decent electronics backround, so I have to wonder about alot of what I read. I do pay close attention to everything I read out here, or anywhere else, but I don't always agree with it. Some yes, some no. On the oil theory, I did pump up to 80:1 from 100:1 for a test, and the plane still stays clean, so im fine with it, but I think 100:1 was just fine, so im going back to it. My elmers Brison 50 has been running 100:1 full synthetic for 4 or 5 years now, and it still runs like new today, and has never had a failure, and when we pulled the plug for the first time the other night, it looked very nice. No signs of overheating whatsoever. There was also zero carbon buildup on the plug, and thats very good. I believe the worst killer of 2 stroke gasoline engines is carbon, not the lack of lubrication. Over the last 30 years, most of the compression lacking gas 2 strokes i've worked on had carbon issues. The carbon builds up and starts breaking loose, and it gets between the cylinder and piston, and in the ring land, and it dies a slow decreasing compression death. I guess we all have our theories, but mine are mostly from my own experience as a mechanic over a 30+ year period, and an RC pilot for 6. Just like my recent experience with the widely suggested 16x8 prop for my 26cc gas engine. Boy was that a waste of time for me. The benchmark prop for SV26 in my opinion is an 18x8, and so far, I have recieved at least 20 emails from people thanking me for that discovery. I don't care what kind of flying you do, it's silly to run any engine beyond the power band, period. All you get is more noise, more engine wear, less fuel economy, and less grunt to get you going.
Im not in this hobby because I love planes, I just love engines. Engines are my life, and repairing them for others has been my career for roughly 36 years. I think I understand internal combustion engines and the theory of their operation better than most folks who have been doing other things for a living.