RCU Forums - View Single Post - Mantis Body??
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Rather-B-Huntin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mantis Body??

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Ideling for break in is the worst thing you can do to a engine.
Then what is the proper procedure??????

Granted I'm fairly new to Nitro RC (been into it for almost 1 year), but this is my 3rd Nitro vehicle and the instructions included in each one advised to at least let the first tank idle at the factory needle settings.
The Mantis with Axial engine advised to break in by letting the first 2 tanks idle through, then to run the next 2 tanks at no more than half throttle in a 20 foot oval. I just completed doing this (did 3 tanks actually instead of 2 just to be sure). And, after finishing, I set the piston to BDC and applied after run oil. According to the factory supplied instructions, I should now be ready to start leaning it out.
Not doubting your wisdom by an means. I'll bow to experience any time. But I always assumed that following the factory recommendations for any product was the way to go since they are the ones whom assembled the product.
It did strike me as weird though that during break in for my Mantis that the engine reached 210 deg. while idling, but never even cracked 110 deg. while running in circles at half throttle??
If I'm doing this all wrong, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me what the correct procedure is if the factory recommendation is wrong.