RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Lancair ES Pictures
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: GP Lancair ES Pictures

My Lancair is nearing completion. My biggest decision at the moment is how I'm going to route the OS muffler for the .91 four stroke. I wasn't going to buy the Pitts muffler, but instead think I might try to go the route the RCU reviewer went as shown in this picture:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r.../246/img84.jpg

He states in the review that it's a 90 degree header between the stock header and the muffler, but it looks like a 45 degree elbow to me.

I trusted the guys here that have said they had no problems with their wings after years of flying, but I'm also guilty of not flying exactly to scale 100% of the time. So I opted to add some strengthening touches. I sandwiched carbon fiber between the ply joiner, filled the root rib openings with ply, cut into the sheeting to the spar on the bottom of the wing and added carbon fiber directly over the spar, and added 4" nylon cloth over the center section. I think it's overkill, but that's the way I like it. It'll give me peace of mind and I won't flinch every time I come down on a high speed pass. [8D]

Haven't found any aluminum sheet or strips to put over the landing gear yet, but at this point I feel like it's not needed. If I come across some though I'll still add it.

Attached some pics of the progress with the wing. As of tonight though the wing is finished, with the center section on the bottom recovered (in insignia blue, but I think that's the color the cowl and landing gear were painted already anyhow). If I can get the muffler situation figured out this week sometime I should be able to fly it this weekend. If I opt to order the header elbow the maiden might have to wait another week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86445.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	870449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74427.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	870450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39055.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.3 KB