RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where would I put my CG?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Where would I put my CG?

Hey guys, I've seen several threads concerning CG but never for a biplane. I'm restoring an old Scale Line Models kit of the Great Lakes 2T-1A and I'm lost as to where to try my initial CG.

The bottom wing is straight but the top wing is rather seriously swept. As opposed to the bottom wing, the top wing rear tips are maybe 10% in front of the bottom wing rear at the wingtip, but at the center point of the aircraft the top wing trailing edge is at about 30% behind the bottom wing leading edge.

Now guys, keep in mind that I've built lots of planes over the years (50+) and most have come out just fine with my limited aerodynamic knowledge, but this is a new one - I've never done a biplane before, let alone one with staggered wings. Wouldn't trust myself with that CG calculator I saw on another thread either, I need to keep it simple if possible.

I'm attaching a 3-view of the plane, just for reference. My mind kinda tells me that the CG should be in the neighborhood of the rear of the center-brace, by the front cockpit.

Any opinions on just how close this might be?

Tks,
Dave W.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33830.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	872097