RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engine running Backwards?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine running Backwards?

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

It should also be pointed out that glow engines can start without the ignitor being connected. The glow plug acts as a catalysis to react with the methanol in the fuel.

Part of the trouble with our sport has been it's rapid growth. So quite often we have people showing people the ropes without all that much experience. Back when people actually had to build their airplanes, they spent a lot of time watching others fly and helping out which gave rise to a better training and sharing of knowledge. It generally takes two to fly control line for instance. Starters were rare 40 years ago, so starting by hand was routine.

I learned from modelers that started flying models in the 40's. So I accept that there is much less experience, and a general dumbing down of relevant knowledge. It's that way everywhere in all aspects of life for the last 50 years.
High Plains, all your posts here reflect on a person with great knowledge concerning the care and feeding of the 2 stroke engine.
As one that started with ignition, and in short-order over to glow, when there were no "starters" other than a few big wheeled units used mostly by CL Speed fliers, I also learned the "bump and flip" technique. That was almost mandatory in my CL Stunt days when the 1 minute rule, signal to start to being airborne, was in effect for the 5 points.

Your input is very refreshing to myself where in today's world and with most fliers of 20 years or less experience they simply expect the Glow engine to be a plug and play operation. I get a lot of startled stares when I choke, turn-over using pull-through, feel a "bump", flip, and the engine is running.

Unfortunately, today's modeler has no time and no desire to learn the basics, especially if it is not in the instruction booklet. []

Great Posts, HP.

BTW, I have experienced both the running-backward start, especially with cold high compression racing engines, and a few starts without the battery connected. Nothing is 100% certain. Always use care and awareness.