RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Adventures of Building a Race Worthy Brushless Electric 1/8 Scale. Update I
Old 02-10-2008, 03:42 PM
helishack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The adventures of building a brushless electric 1/8 scale 4x4 buggy.

ORIGINAL: Handy Racing

I emailed Dan at RC Product Designs, hopefully he'll keep an eye out on this post and share some lessons learned from time to time.

For us do-it-yourselfers, buying the Traxxas E-Maxx motor mount for about $6 gives a good cheap pattern for copying the geometry for making new motor mounts (or just use half of it). It seems an inexpensive time and trouble saver for taking measurements and making prototype parts. We thought about a dual Velineon set up for awhile and were going to use the motor mount, but decided to keep it simple and stick with one motor (we think dual brushless on the same spur might be a feedback and motor control problem).

You're very welcome for the thread, we plan on racing competitively this coming summer and as we take pics and get some testing results I hope to keep this thread updated. Hopefully others will also add their projects like you did - we can all learn together.
I'm very interested in learning more - this project is a fun challenge.

ORIGINAL: RichieD

14.4 volts isn't enough voltage; and that is the worst botch-job I have ever seen!
RichieD, thanks for chiming in! Considering that some of us have day jobs that don't even closely resemble what we do for hobbies, it would be expected that you won't find CNC quality work from do-it-yourself folks all that often. I take no offense actually - I'm a hobbyist and enjoy hacking away at my cars. Now my helis are another story - they get professionally machined parts - for obvious reasons.

From what I've read, a lot of people are using 14.4v. It seems that with the right motor and gearing they get their desired results on 1/8 buggies. The system I'm building will handle up to 6S lipos for 22.2v - which will allow me to drop to 5S or 4S depending on the kVm, gearing, weight, track, etc. Lot's of variables here... The decision on 6S will be based on weight and whether or not I need all of that voltage (which drops the current draw - as long as the system can support 22.2v).

It would be great to see a how-to or some points on how to do things better. I'm all ears on this topic...

Thanks,

Jeff