RCU Forums - View Single Post - Norvel madness!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Norvel madness!

ORIGINAL: longdan

I wonder how many of the people that buy these engines at these crazy prices have any intention of atually using them on an ongoing basis. Or do they see them as some kind of investment? - they see that the prices have been rising faster than the price of petrol, and think that in 6 months or a year, they can put them back up for auction and double their money.

I'm probably more guilty than most, In Norvels alone I have 23 1/2A's and 6 .074's. In my defense, I give a lot of motors away too, but I see buying engines today as an investment in my hobby-there will be no more 1/2A in modeling beyond what we as hobyists produce in the cottage industry. On it's face, that means no more motors and no more plugs. The plugs are an easier nut to crack, even needles-but motors will never be coming back. What you buy right now will have to last you a lifetime, and they won't get cheaper until enough of the people who care about them die off that they aren't recognized as valueable anymore. By that time we'll be old enough not to care, so get while the getting is good. You punishment for failing to heed my warnings will be being sentenced to a lifetime of putting dummy cylinders on electric models, spraying them down with castor oil, and yelling "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" every time you take off.