RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just another Top Flight Corsair
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Devo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another Top Flight Corsair

Thanks for the kind words from those that have posted.

In answer to questions asked, this is the 62" Top Flight Gold kit. As far as modifications, I added the extra aileron servo and, to keep the cowl as clean as possible a remote glow plug connection. I used the stock cowl. I added the flaps by cutting the aft portion of the cowl with a razor saw (thanks for the measurements Juice), and bent them while carefully applying heat with my heat gun. I wanted to open them as little as possible, and so far tests on the ground show that the cooling should be more than adequate. The cowl is not glued together as stated on the plan, but rather screwed together to aid in removal. The dummy radial is attached to the cowl with screws to allow the movement needed to clear the rocker covers during removal. Also the exhaust exiting through the firewall to the scale location is not per the TF plan. Balance was obtained through battery placement with no extra weight added.

BobH, how was your Corsair finished? And do you know what it weighed?

I know the purists out there would scoff at this plane because it is not scale, but I know the average idiot who sees it and watches it fly will be able to identify it for what it is. I consider this airplane to be a work in progress. I've learned a lot about the Corsair as I built mine. It is quite an impressive aircraft. In the future I would like to add gear doors and I would like to refinish it with fiberglass and paint. At that time I will add a more authentic finish. As I said before, I want to fly it! This is my first warbird, and my first plane with retracts. There aren't many warbirds where I fly, so this F4 should be something of a novelty.