RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just another Top Flight Corsair
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another Top Flight Corsair

Devo and all you other "Bent Wing Bird" lovers,

Your Corsair looks great, but will look even better and more realistic when you glass and paint her. Beware of high rates on her elevator until you are acquainted with her dance step routine.
There is not an airplane built that looks prettier than an F4U in a low pass down the runway.

I am currently working on several projects to include a 101" W/S Ziroli B-25 and a Pica 1/5 P-40. However. I do plan a Ziroli F4U Corsair in the near future.

I had a very nice T/F GE 60 size F4U done up in the flat black night fighter USMC scheme with red letters and markings with a ST 90 pulling her around. I even built scale landing gear doors in her wings...she was awesome. I lost her in a low slow speed stall after the engine quit. I had her nose at full down elevator, but she tip stalled and in she went. Oh well, her successor will be even better.

I want to say something about "Scale War birds". I have heard some say the T/F War Birds are not scale aircraft. Well, what model that flies worth the time spent to build it is? Please remember as the plane reduces in size from it's full size cousin a couple of things happen. The air molecules do not reduce in size, so this makes things interesting. Any bad flight characteristics the real aircraft has have just been multiplied.

I have seen people at my field with scale aircraft get into trouble by not flying the airplane to the ground. A War Bird knows no forgiveness and is not a trainer, unless it's an L2, L4 or something like that. Even one of the high wing Warriors will bite you if you let it. Remember, you are in command of the aircraft!

Anyone who can fly a 40 to 120 size War Bird proficiently is to be commended. I have a T/F Red Box P-51B powered by a ST 61 that requires flaps for landing or she takes the length of the runway (600') to slow down and taxi. Take offs require a scale climb and turn with rudder to down leg, (just like a real
one).

Retired General Chuck Yeager, USAF autographed her hood and I am no longer allowed to fly her. She does make appearances at fly ins and mall shows. When General Yeager autographed her hood he grinned real big and said, "Oh yes, I remember this one".

I plan to get a digital camera soon and post some photos of some of my War Birds for you guys/gals to feast your eyes on. I hope there are some gals in the War Bird mania, (I mean hobby).

Good luck with your War Birds and all of your ventures.

Keep 'Em Flying,