RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just another Top Flight Corsair
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 01:02 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just another Top Flight Corsair

Some of us prefer to have our Corsairs looking realistic in the air, in which cases, scale speeds and stand off looks are the requirements. Scale speeds are easier to attain with lighter aircraft, and aircraft which use iron on covering are generally (but not always) lighter. Check out my galley for pics of how a Top Flite Corsair can be finished with iron on covering, and still be very scale/ accurate. My previous Corsair (#102) received acclaim from all who saw it, for it's realistic looks in flight. My new one is even better, as it is lighter and has flaps.
There are those here (at RCUniverse) who have refered to the Top Flite Corsair as excrement, and to those I have taken exception. It COULD have been designed to be a more scale accurate aircraft, without sacrificing it's great flying qualities and ease of construction. But the designers apparently did not have access to the same drawings as Royal, D&B, Jemco, and others did. The more recent magazine ads proclaim the Top Flite warbirds to be scale accurate, but at least in the case of the Corsair, they do leave something to be desired.
Nontheless, I agree that they are a great flying aircraft, capable of almost trainer like landings when set up right. And I for one, will continue to build them, with modifications to make them more scale.