RCU Forums - View Single Post - Just another Top Flight Corsair
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just another Top Flight Corsair

Devo,

Fiberglass and paint will not add tons of weight as long as you don't use excessive material. When you glass the plane choose a cloth, (I prefer 3/4 oz.) that is light but strong. A mixture of finishing resin diluted by denatured alcohol about 50% is great. The following is the method I use: (1) Apply with a paint or sponge brush, then squeegee off with a playing card or old credit card. (2) Once the glass has dried, sand with 4 to 6 hundred grit then apply another coat of mixture if the weave is not filled. (3)Re-sand, then prime, I like to use "Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch" primer. (4) After priming, wet sand with 600 grit, (I use emery cloth as it does not fall apart when wet) shoot a light coat of primer where needed on any bare spots. (5) Now it's time to use your chart tape to apply your panel lines and rivets/screws. (6)Re-prime and prepare for paint. You'll find the recommended primer is very nice and leaves little over spray residue. (7) Peel off the chart tape. Wow, you now have visible detail! (8) Use fine or very fine steel wool and gently go over all of the detail to even any unwanted edges. (9) Shoot a nice light coat of paint. I prefer to buy my flat military automotive paint from RAPCO Parts Company, 1201 Highway 81 North, Bowie, Texas76230 Phone: 940-872-2403. A second light coat will make your paint great. You can buy paint from RAPCO by the spray can or by the gallon. I prefer to use an automotive paint gun for over all painting and an air brush for small areas. Use a good enamel reducer set for the proper temperature. (10) Once you are finished with the paint and detail work shoot at least one coat of
a clear fuel proof sealer over your work of art. Use either flat or semi-gloss to achieve the desired result. You now have a very great looking War Bird that not only is pleasing to the eye, but strong in structure and finish.

Try this method on a scrap piece of wood if you are skeptical. You will find it's a pretty cool way to go and you'll never have to mess with the finish again, unless it's to take a paint brush and do small touch up work for those unexpected dings from hangar and field rash. Remember, the fiber glass has just armor plated your balsa/foam structure and will protect the airplane like covering never could! There are several videos available on fiberglassing methods.

I hand paint the detail work on my war birds as I prefer an artistic touch, not a machine finished work. Both ways are acceptable.

Good luck Devo.

Keep 'Em Flying