RCU Forums - View Single Post - Long ESC wires or long motor wires?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Long ESC wires or long motor wires?

You can build the motors to both stop if 1 of them develops a heavy current demand or short.
Measure the amps. of a single motor at full throttle. Say it is 10 amps. For a pair it would be 20 amps. A fuse of 20 amps, FAST blowing, glass type could be put in the + line of the the 2 motors after they have been joined in parallel but before the battery. Just pair them up as stated above.

I have that on a 4 engined flying boat. I tested it by tossing a large rag into the prop of 1 motor. fuse blew in 10 seconds. No motor or ESC stink or problems. I actually fused mine at the FULL current of both motors. At full current, fuses hang on forever. Fusing each motor is not a good thing.

Wait a minute!!
If you lose 1 motor out of 6, I dont think you are going to have a problem to still fly well enough, to take your time on a nice big sweeping landing.

I say wire the motors to each ESC.

I would go with 1 big battery if at all possible. Try not to use LIPOS in big planes. Wing loading should be very low on a 36.
LIFEPO4's .....A123.......DEWALT packs....... Pick the right motor & prop and you could use a DEWALT Pack whole. Or 2 or 3 in parallel. Even use the stock charger they have. Sweet.

Wake us up with progress pictures

Make sure 1 of the main wing spars is right where the landing gear assy. will need to be mounted.

Rich