RCU Forums - View Single Post - starting with the choke on?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: starting with the choke on?

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: foresterxt

So I've got a CRRC Pro 45cc V3 gasser (my first gasser) that I started to break in at the end of last fall. It was very difficult to start; I flipped it so many times my shoulder was getting screwed up. I finally realized that If I flip it a few times with the choke full on, then turn the ignition on and turn the choke half way on, it fires up right away. I've read a few posts that say the choke shouldn't be engaged with the ignition on, but setting to half-choke seems to work perfect. As a matter of fact, the only way I can get my leaf blower started is to start her half-choked as well. Of course as soon as the engine starts, I turn the choke completely off. Does anyone else start the engine half-choked or am I off my rocker?!

Thanks,
Dave

OK, nothing fancy here. Works every time, on every gas engine I have and I have a CRRC and a Thor among others (I don't fly DA and I've been told they don't like to be wet like other engine do).

1. switch on
2.choke on full
3.throttle full on
4.pull through compression till it starts then dies
5.choke off
6.throttle set to idle
7.3 or 4 props and it will be running

let it warm up then check transition and go fly

SURELY item # 3 is in error???? Starting at full throttle is a really scary proposition.
No error. She doesn't go anywhere with full choke. It gets the fuel flowing quickly and just as quickly chokes out. It never builds to anywhere close to maximum RPM (usually a few revs is all you get with all that choke). A couple more flips with the choke off and the throttle at idle, and she starts easily with plenty of lube. Everyone I know, that has been flying gas for any time, uses this procedure with 100% results and no issues. As always with these monsters, our planes are either held securely by another guy who knows what he is doing and won't be spooked when it fires, or tethered securely. No plane should be started unless these safety steps are taken.