RCU Forums - View Single Post - starting with the choke on?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: starting with the choke on?

I will sometimes choke and flip with the throttle wide open. It starts and runs for 1/2 second and then dies. Now turn the choke off and throttle to idle. Flip Flip.

I also put my choke on a servo. I use the gear switch to work it. You just have to know how to actually set up a linkage to do it right. Any idiot can hook up a pushrod to a servo and run it to the choke. Not EXACTLY what you want to do though.

You want the servo endpoint at 0 when the choke is open/off. That way, while you're flying the plane, that servo is just sitting there. No load. The only time that servo is loaded is when you are choking the engine. With an endpoint setting of 0 -- the servo will just sit there. No buzzing or groaning. No load on the battery.

I've seen guys hook up a choke servo and adjust the endpoints to make it work perfect, but the servo is groaning the entire time the switch is turned on. Thats because he didn't set it up right and he's using an endpoint value other than 0 when his choke is fully open. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. But he's proud as punch 'cause he gots a switch for his choke servo.