RCU Forums - View Single Post - starting with the choke on?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: starting with the choke on?

My post is in response to the first post, if anyone remembers what he was asking. If anyone was having luck with starting the engine at half choke instead of choke off for the starting flip? For my ZDZ 50 NG, since I like my low needle leaner for good performance, I need to start with a partial choke just like my new Toro 153cc 2-stroke snow blower. I almost burned out my shoulder using the normal starting method. Then I tried leaving the choke cracked open, and it would fire right up and stay running. I let it warm up for a about 5 seconds like that and open the choke while it's running. Works great especially in spring/fall/winter. So yes, partial choke works great for a leaner low needle. Why set your low needle rich only for starting? Set it for flying and use the choke to richen the mixture while it's warming up.

For some reason this hobby doesn't use the choke for cold starting. They use it only for priming. All the other industries use the choke for cold starting, even the aviation (before fuel injection). The priming bulb is for priming. The choke is for starting the engine and keeping it running while it's cold. The needles are set for an engine that's up to running termperature, not to facilitate a cold start.

PS: Dick, I agree with the low idle comment. Since these carbs get richer as you throttle down through the midrange down to idle, that totally makes sense and I need to do that instead of a high idle, it's safer too.