RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ace R/C Simple Series Builders collection
Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Ace R/C Simple Series Builders collection

ORIGINAL: Jcurrier

Since my current Norvel .061 will run for about 17 minutes on a 2 ounce tank with glow, i figure i can convert it to a diesel and fly for about 30 minutes each run... NOW you see why i have a big battery!
HaHa -- I guess that size really does matter!!

Since you're a self-professed nerd, check the posts by 1705493-AndyW -- he's one of the diesel guys around here and has converted a number of the smaller engines. The only downside to the conversion is that it can sometimes be hard on rods and crankpins. With NORVEL gone, replacement cranks are difficult to find.

An alternative to the existing NORVEL glow head is the Galbreath head/NELSON plug combination -- they usually work as well or better than the standard head and will fit the NORVEL .049, NORVEL .061, COX .049 and AP Wasp .061 . These are available from Larry Driskill at [link=http://www.kittingittogether.com/]Kitting It Together[/link]. Larry is a small engine guy and I've had excellent dealings with him.

I expect that the AP Wasp plug will also fit since it is a knockoff of the NORVEL -- I have an extra Wasp plug, but just have not tried it. The WASP head shims are quite poor, however. I recently bought several packs of gaskets from Lite Machines and the quality looks to be very good -- uniform size, clean edges and consistent width.