RCU Forums - View Single Post - R/C newbie looking for opinions-cheap radio!
Old 04-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Mac J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C newbie looking for opinions-cheap radio!

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I understand that this is a dangerous project, especially for someone like me who knows only the very basics of r/c equipment. Because of your concerns, I will spend the extra cash and get the better controls and fail safe. Granted, that won't make it completely safe by any means, but I will definitely take other safety measures when we do testing and demonstrations. There is actually a large construction area near my school where I will be taking the car, so if something goes horribly wrong it can only crash into dirt piles and parked bulldozers, and there will be an emergency shutoff within easy reach. I will also gear it down more-- originally we were looking at 4:1 which would equal 25-35 MPH with our wheels, but now 5.5-6:1 seems more reasonable. At least then I can run and have a fighting chance of getting out of the way, lol. So, tell me about this controller... it comes with the reciever and servo motors? Does it have a variable throttle or all or nothing? how about a guesstimate on range? I think I can deal with some of the interference, get a resistor spark plug and some metal shielding around the engine and electronics... Still open to ideas and suggestions so keep em coming :-) Thanks again,
-Jason