RCU Forums - View Single Post - GLASSING SNAFU
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GLASSING SNAFU

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Thanks IE, that sounds like a workable solution here. Yes, FWs' plane got me going on this one.....but this one is so far from scale that is where the comparison ends. Being a belly lander, I want to keep the nose of this one from tearing off, but good landing technique with a light plane is the best strategy instead of building a heavy lawn dart. I was torn between the traditional foam/balsa sandwich and just plain F/G over foam, then paint. The jury is still out, all this painstaking touch up work on the glass will take at least an hour, then there will be primer/sanding sessions to fill the weave. It still isn't too late to cut the foam fuselage out and chunk it up into bulkhead stations and build a traditional "boat style" fuselage out of balsa.
CP
A hour is not all that bad to get it back to a level that you would like is not all that bad. It has taken me longer to sand out the tail feathers for my SE build, although I haven't been working on it that much this week.

It looks like a nice build you have got going there go for it!

I'd try the foam method you are using it should be fairly light.
With your building skills you might be able to shave off a bit with a traditional balsa build but I be willing to bet it be a lot more work.
Two .074s this baby should honk!

Post a picture when you get her done!

Best wishes
Paul