RCU Forums - View Single Post - tt-01 vs ta-05???
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 02:04 PM
thaphillips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tt-01 vs ta-05???

Here is my personal opnions about my TA05 boith the good and the bad.

THE GOOD

Both drive belts are equal length, which leads to equally distributed power to both rear and front wheels. Also I think it helps keep the center of gravity in the middle of the car. This is also good because with equal length belts they can be swapped. So if you break a front belt you could use an old rear belt you have that is extra. This leads to less $$$ when stocking parts for racing.

I like the plastic tub. I prefer to race on asphalt to carpet, and I enjoy the extra compliance given from a plastic tub. It allows the car to be more durable because it asorbs impact better with out breaking.

The TA05 is pretty competitive bone stock out of the box. People will tell you that you need to buy a bunch of hop ups which is b.s. All you really need to be competitive at the CLUB level is tires. If you are racing nationals then yes you will need more hop ups.

The TA05 is pretty durable. I have broken the common componets and upgraded some to aluminum as they broke. I have taken many bad crashes with minimal to no damage.

The TA05 is very easy to drive and set up. The car is very neutral handling and a slight adjustment does not throw your whole set up out of whack.

THE BAD

__________________________________________________ _____________

The TA05 is a pretty heavy vehicle. I think a lot of it is due to the plastic tub. It makes this car a better asphalt racer than carpet racer. You can upgrade parts to get a good competitive carpet racer, but for the money you are better off buying a TC-5 or JSXR for racing carpet.

Tamiya parts are a PITA to find in the U.S. As a result you should order double to triple the parts needed when they break. This will ensure you have extras for future breaks. Most hobby shops in the U.S. will not stock Tamiya and your racing day is over if something breaks and you need a part.The cost of shipping from overseas really drives the price of operating this vehicle up in the long run.

The space to mount your electronics in the vehicle is very small. This can be a problem with some of the larger ESC's in todays brushless systems. You might have to get creative when mounting your electronics.

Most TA05 kits have a slightly tweaked plastic tub. Hopefully Tamiya has corrected this.

Finally the Hobby Shop will know you didn't buy your car or parts from their shop, and some store owners can be jerks about it. I also respond by telling them to stock tamiya and I can get my parts at their shop.

THE VERDICT

My next 4wd Touring Car will probably be the TC-5 due to parts availability.
I however will not be selling my TA05 because it really is a joy to drive. If only someone could get the parts availability sorted out.