RCU Forums - View Single Post - Your WEIRDEST looking planes! Please post pics!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Your WEIRDEST looking planes! Please post pics!

More odd planes built by Carl "Flaps" Laffert, flown by Ed Moorman.

This next canard, called Krazy Kanard, made half a flight. The foreplane was made from 1/4" sheet. After trimming and feeling it out, I eased the nose down and added full power to make a high speed pass. The plane is pretty sleek and it gained speed fast. I think the canard fluttered. Anyway, the right side broke off in flight, taking out complete elevator contril. The elevator clevice also snagged the battery lead, tearing it out. No elevator and no control to shut down so it went high speed straight down on to a concrete runway. It looked like confetti after it hit. For this reason, we now use built up, fairly thick canards with spruce spars.

The next plane, Flaps calls his Nightmare delta, but it is more like a sharply tapered flying wing. It would definitely snap roll and also tip stall on landing.

The third plane in off white, is his small canard. I think it originally started from plans, but I know he added the LEXs (Leading Edge eXtensions), he loves them. It has an .049 for power and could just barely stay up. We retired it in favor of larger sizes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67477.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	897861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35362.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	897862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87306.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.0 KB