RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: HPI Baja Top Speed and Gearing info...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAQ: HPI Baja Top Speed and Gearing info...

ORIGINAL: Lunar Wolf

Tyre swell or ballooning isn't as big a speed gain as you might imagine, as they ballon traction decreases meaning high speed slippage.

Nice work on the raw numbers btw, its intresting to put a figure on the potential differences between the gearing options, they really don't seem to add up to a whole lot. In reality you have to be careful with overgearing a vehicle, even with a big enough runway the engine may not have the high rpm torque to fully spool out if the gearing is too high, and a similar setup with lower gearing can actually have better top end.
tire ballooning can be a huge difference in top end speed, how do you think top fuel dragsters have become able to push over 300mph....its the new tire design, more ballooning=more top speed....traction at the speed when the ballooning occurs usually isn't a issue since its already almost on max rpm range risk of slipage is minimal...running surface has alot to do with speed also as does the tire tread, slicks are faster than tires with tread...concrete is faster than blacktop...alot of factors in speed running involved.....ultimate speed rc car would be a turbine driven without gearing to cause friction and speed limitations....maybe i'll toss my jetcat 120 into the old traxxas mb i got here and give it hell on the salt flats this august and see what kinda speed it can push