RCU Forums - View Single Post - What battery for an easy glider?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Photopilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What battery for an easy glider?

Just got done painting it and adding the battery to it. Even with the big battery all the way up in the nose, still had to add 1/2 an ounce for balance. Setting up my new airtronics was so easy, especially considering I am new to this if you discount my limited experience 20 years ago.

The guys at the LHS were not very informative, and I think did not know what they were talking about. One guy insisted I should put a lipo in there as they are the battery of the future. It did not make sense to pay for a lipo then a lot of lead to balance the plane. It has the servos that came with the glider in the RR version I think they call them the micros and minis. Since someone at Multiplex suggested 5 cell i assume they could handle it.

I plan to go throw it off the local slope 2 blocks away to see how it goes and fine tune the trim a bit. I am still a little nervous about reverse steering when the plane is coming at me, we'll see how it goes. With the flaperons it should be easy to make a controlled landing.

One note though is the ailerons do not move the entire surface uniformly. It seems to flex from where the servo horn is attached and warp the rest of the control surface. Is this normal or a result of the paint that I sprayed down into the styrofoam causing the control surface to be stiff?

I'll report back this evening.

PP