RCU Forums - View Single Post - PLEASE CLOSE
Thread: PLEASE CLOSE
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2002, 06:16 AM
ptrotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Paint

Elmshoot,

I tend to thin Nelson paint about 30-40% with water. It depends on the color, as the colors closer to white are more heavily pigmented and need more thinning.

I use an HVLP gun with a turbine that only puts out about 10 PSI so I'm not sure what a standard system would require. I sometimes use an airbrush and generally set it at a fairly high pressure, about 40-50 lbs. Again it depends on the color.

I am quite pleased with the paint, and Jerry Nelson is a nice guy to talk to and get help. The paint is made by System Three and is primarily design for marine use so it should be fairly rugged.

I also like the Nelson water/alcohol reduced 2-part epoxy primer. I goes on easy, cleans up easy and gives a great, hard surface that can be sanded well.

The fellow that was mentioned previously that had problems with the paint probably either sanded the primer with too fine a grit, or didn't clean the surface properly. Since the paint requires a mechanical bond, it needs a little roughness to grab onto. 150 grit is really sufficient as the paint will fill any scratches at that grit. After the first coat of top coulor, the surface can be sanded as fine as you like prior to additional coats.

All in all, I highly recommend the paint.

Paul