RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro trainers...
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Nitro trainers...

It doesn't matter what it looks like. It's a TOOL.

Use it to learn how to fly. Get help and solo with an instructor. Wreck it, fix it. It doesn't matter if it's ugly. FLY IT!! Patch it up and use it for the intended purpose.

Resist the urge to move on to a low wing tail dragger until you are bored to death with the trainer. I see a lot of newbies get soloed and they immediately gut all the parts and equipment out of the trainer and use them on a 2nd plane that they are not really ready for. Big mistake.

I flew my first trainer for at least 4 or 5 months after I soloed. I was building a kit. Learn to do crosswind landings with the trainer. Learn some of the more advanced aerobatic maneuvers. I still to fly my trainer when I want to learn a new maneuver. They will do every trick in the book. It may not be pretty, but if YOU know how to move the sticks correctly, they will do it all. Use the trainer to advance your flying skills. Don't solo and then immediately turn your nose up at the trainer. Keep it and fly it for many years. I STILL have an old LT-40 that I fly. I've been flying for 10yrs and I'm not embarrassed to fly my trainer.

Rushing into a plane that you're not ready for is a big mistake. As I said, lots of guys do it and end up wrecking very quickly. Stick with the trainer until you can practically fly it in your sleep. Then start on your second plane.

Trainers don't have to be pretty. Pick the biggest one that you can afford and fly it. Bigger is always better. They fly smoother.