RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro trainers...
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 07:12 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro trainers...

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Anyway, like I was saying, Goldberg Protege .60 ARF
This is an absolutely wonderful flying airplane. I bought mine after Minnflyer did the review on his. He did the review using an OS 55 AX engine. The LHS didn't have one in stock and didn't expect delivery on one for two or three weeks, but he had and OS 75 AX in stock, so I bought that one and installed it. It takes off with a little bit more than half throttle with this engine. Powerhouse is the best way to describe it. But Minnflyer used the 55 AX which he says has outstanding performance, and I must agree with that. It performs with my 75 AX and I hardly use full throttle, so I can imagine the 55 is just about perfect. Those AX engines are just great. The only advantage of the 75 AX is that it fits right in with no mods to fit the smaller 55 engine footprint.

This was the first plane I've ever built (arf.. so assembled for you purists ) that did NOT require any additional nose weight to make the CG. Perfect right from the start.

I fly that plane very often and love it's performance and handling. Can be a fast very capable high-wing plane, yet lands like a feather. My only complaint was the covering trim on the wing. Even though I spent several hours ironing out wrinkles and getting the covering right, the stripes on the wings lifted during flight making wierd sounds. I thought it was flutering at first, but we found that it was the trim stripes on the wings. So, I put a little tape on the covering and continued flying without further problems.

However, this week, I had one problem that was not my fault... well, it was because I failed to secure the plane properly on the ground... and it flipped over and broke my favorite prop, a Bolly 13.5 x 8, and broke the wing mounting system as well as the wing mounting area where the bolts pass through.. one nylon bolt broke but the other did not and this tore up the wing.

It will be about a 2 hour or so fix and it will be back in the air.

This is one of the best high-wing aerobatic trainers I've flown, and an awful lot of fun to fly. Landings make even the worse pilot look good.

CGr.