RCU Forums - View Single Post - Build A Bullet Proof Stryker (Brushless Or Stock)
Old 04-04-2008, 12:16 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build A Bullet Proof Stryker (Brushless Or Stock)

ORIGINAL: Hagar69

Hi Guys,
Have not been here for a long time, been busy messing with other planes and a helicopter.
But my Stryker is still one of my favorite planes, and it is now more fun than ever thanks to this great motor:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3885]Cheap 1700 kV motor[/link]

With a good quality 3S pack (25C 2100) it pulls over 40 amps using an 8x6 prop. It will leave the 12T back in the dust
And it can also handle 4S if propped down, 6x4 is safe. I have also done 7x5 on 4S, but things starts getting hot then.

A great way to mount this motor on the Stryker is to get rid of the original mount, and glue a stick in it instead.
Then use this stick-mount:
[link=http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5135]GWS Stick mount[/link]

Picture of my beat up Stryker is hopefully showing up below.

I have also cut off 5 cm (2 inches) of each wingtip on mine, I did it mostly because one wintip was damaged. But this improved the roll rate substantially. And I also believe it reduces drag. My vertical fins are also about 2 inches lower than stock and made of balsa. This too helps improve roll rate.

The above modifications have made the Stryker very agile, it is not longer a beginners plane (if it ever was).

Hagar

Hagar, nice to see you still pop in once in a while. Printed out the specs/remarks about that motor to read later but it looks good from my initial skimming. Appears to handle more watts/amps than the 12T is meant to. I say "meant" because we all know we push this motor a bit higher than it was designed for on the 8x6 prop. By the way, the 12D can handle a more watts than the T version. I read a test thread where the guy was using either a 9x6 or 8x7 prop (somewhere in there above an 8x6) with no problems. That should be a barn burner. My 12T is still strapped to my streamlined Stryker. I've got a Go Brushless triple stator kit that we did a custom magnet job on and will be doing a fast wind that is compromised just a little to give the thing enough torque to push my heavy 27 ounce bird into unlimited V. Remember, the prior Stryker it was built from was all epoxy pre-gorilla glue days for me, so that's why it's that heavy. I've still waiting to some some dopplers of the 12T on various props before I swap it out for my triple stator. I'm expecting air speeds in the 80 to 100+ range. [8D] The winding process and other data will be posted here when I get to it.

Keep popping in. That reminds me...I've got to see if the Darkside thread has hit 100 messages yet. As I said, I plan to migrate back over there when that comes. [sm=what_smile.gif]