RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120

Ok. So far I have glued wing halves, and fasteners to bolt wing to fuse, installed all control surfaces using du-bro hinges, installed aileron servos, landing gear, wheels and pants, both stabilizers and tail wheel assembly. I will only point out the things that were non standard in the assembly so far as opposed to easier arfs with better instructions. Everything else was normal. All of these mods u can see in the pics. The first thing I deviated from the instructions is installing a nylon landing gear strap on the wooden piece that attaches vertically along each gear wire. The instructions just stated to epoxy these but I wanted the extra security. Next, the kit was only supplied with one wheel collar per wheel for the outside of the axle. I cant see how this would have worked as the inside of the wheel would have rubbed agents the wheel pant without some sort of spacer on the axle, in this case I installed another wheel collar on the inside, see pic. The tail wheel assembly has been the most incontinent. Its hard to describe so I made 2 diagrams. The instruction just stated to run the wire up through the fuse and bend 90* to be epoxied to the rudder “that’s all”. Ok u can see in the diagram how I did this. I cut the wire to length, added a collar and washer under the fuse to take the load off the rudder, attached a steering rod to the rudder so the tail gear wire could just slide up through it and be held by the set screw in the steering rod. I added some fender washers to the wing bolts, that will get painted later. I usually do this with kits that come with rinky dink washers, just gives more surface area for the pressure the bolts will apply. The wing joiners and holes where not pre drilled so lining these up for proper fit took some time. I drilled out the holes in the LE of wing where joiners would go and laved down a wooden pencil x 2 cut just long enough to barley protrude form the wing. So when I seated the wing the pencils would mark the fuse side. With a little bit of luck and patience this got me close enough to drill the second set of holes for the fuse. That’s it for now. I’m am building this arf slow but I will keep the post updated and pics as I progress. Thanks Tony