RCU Forums - View Single Post - Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
JDMjdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone North American T-28 Trojan

ORIGINAL: zestril5

JDMjdawg

I take off and land from a blacktop runway at our field. When I bought the tires. (they are rubber by the way not foam) I did nothing to the plane. I unscrewed the nut on the axels popped on the new wheels and rescrewed the original nuts back on.

2 things about the Trojan. 1 it takes off beautifully, like from the deck of an aircraft carrier. but 2. landings are not as uneventful. One of the reasons I changed to the new tires was because of it's looks but even more than that was because the plane bounced a lot even after touchdown on blacktop and I thought the new tires would have a calming effect on that. If it did, it's hardly noticible. And my experience and that of others with the Trojan at the field is that it doesn't want to stop traveling after it's down. In fact we are putting up snow fence to catch the Trojans so as no to go so far down the blacktop that it interferes with cars coming and going.

So I don't know what to say. I'm just not seeing what you are. I believe you, but I just don't get the same results. Now I have a Power 10 motor in the Trojan so all comparisons are off but this was my experience b4 the motor change.

I see, well I seemed to have found the problem. It turns out that the axles on the T-28 landing gear have too small of a diameter for the Du-Bro wheels causing the wheels to spin inconsistently. When I had originally built my Slow Stick, I used some 5/32" brass tubing to make a new dihedral brace. This tubing has the perfect outside diameter for the Du-Bro wheels. I cut sections about as long as the wheel hubs and then glued them to the T-28 axles, then I mounted the wheels on the T-28. Now the wheels spin like they have bearings! I guess my problems with taking off and what not before were due to the wheels turning very poorly on the axles prior to the brass tubing mod.
I sure love these wheels now, I have no complaints whatsoever