RCU Forums - View Single Post - What Mini to get out in Iraq
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 04:05 PM
combatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Mini to get out in Iraq

I don't know anything about the Trinity NOW or Mini LST, so I will leave those recommendations to other people.

Since you are at least 1300 miles from a hobby shop, my suggestion would be to buy a car that that is durable, and one that can brave the elements, so you are not constantly left waiting for replacement parts (all cars break, but some do so more easily than others). So, I'd get one with a sealed gearbox (for trouble-free running in dusty/pebbly conditoins), and with a reputation for durability.

First, I would get the Mini Baja over the Mini T (Baja comes with oil shocks, ball bearings, as well as regular rear tires and sand paddles). The Mini Baja (like the Mini T) is also equipped with a sealed gearbox.

My true recommendation would be one of the RC18 vehicles. While they do not come with a sealed gearbox, you can get a gear cover from The Toyz (manufacturer of the gear cover is Driven Productions). In my experience and opinion, the RC18 vehicles are made of a plastic that is much tougher (more flexible) than the Mini Baja plastic, and can take a real beating just like Mattdg67 said. My Mini T parts break fairly easily, and my RC18T has yet to break anything, despite similar (or worse) punishment.

If you go with an RC18 vehicle, you might also want to equip it with a drag link, manufactured by Driven Productions, that can be purchased at The Toyz just like the gear cover. The drag link helps to eliminate steering slop. Heck, if you go this route, get the C springs for the RC18 servo saver, also at The Toyz, to help the steering servo center better.