RCU Forums - View Single Post - Going to convert my 8ight-t to electric, help!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Racing T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going to convert my 8ight-t to electric, help!

ORIGINAL: brushlessboy16

Hello and welcome, just for starters i have done 1/8th scale conversions and so have others like
-Takedown
-Happywing
-RURC

WE all have first hand knowledge of the matter...
Moving on

1. I buy from Mike at RC-monster, RCP is overpriced when you can get a part that is just as well made for less.
plus if it breaks mike will get a new one out to u ASAP

2. The Mamba Max is a great Speed controller, i Run it in my B/L raze, the only problem is that some models dont like running higher then 3s lipo. (explained later). There are many alternatives, depending on weather or not u use mechanical brakes or the Speed controller's brakes.... If u keep the mechanical brakes then your ESC selection broadens-You can get very cheap high voltage plane esc (8s-100a). If u plan on using the Esc brakes you need a car or boat esc, that brings your choices back to the Mamba Max or equivelant.
(unless you want to pay infinite amounts of money for a MGM or Quark)

2A- The motor that the Mamba Max comes with simply put -IS NOT POWERFULL ENOUGH. They are a small motor that will heat up and commit suicide very quickly. You need a Long can motor like the Feigao Xl series or equivelent (wanderer). If u have money to spend i would reccoment getting a Neu, or other high quality motor. But they run for Hundreds of dollars.

XL series- http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...WAND_XL&cat=20

3. Simply, 3s is not enough power. you need a minimum of 4s lipo, 5-6s is favorable..I am running 5s 4000mah in my car. You can still use your current charger, just get one 2s and one 3s. You should be shooting for a battery that is capable of 100a continuous
I bought my batteries from www.unitedhobbies.com they are very cheap- i picked up my 5s pack for 95 bucks

4. The tooth pitch of the gear on the center diff is Module 1.0, MOD1 for short. Mike at Rc-monster.com sells these
-found here http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...1pinion&cat=40

Ill be happy to answer any questions for you

Thanks a lot! I really apreciate it!

On the motor some one is selling me a new Feigao 8xl motor at a good price, is that good? the only problem I see is that it is a 3.5mm shaft and the link that you provided for pinions are 5mm?? what do I need 5 or 3.5? I guess bigger is better?

On the batteries, if I do that ( one 3s and one 2s ) how should I wire them like in a Y hardness or something?

another question ( sorry ) what is a BEC??? do I need that??

thanks