RCU Forums - View Single Post - looking for speed model
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: looking for speed model

kiosk:

Like any other form of locomotion, the engine is the ultimate factor limiting speed. Yes, a clean low drag airframe is important. You can put a OS something on a viper and maby get it up to 120mph or a little more with the limited power and rpm's in the range of 14,500, or strap a Nelson or Jett racing 40 on it with rpms over 20,000. These are all out racing engines, no throttle to comromise air induction. You have one shot at getting the landing right, no go arounds, its sort of life or death. The more practice, the better at it you will become. Fortunately Jett does make a "Sports Jett" engine that is a higher rpm engine with excellent throttle response. The 50LX breaks in at 18,500 rpm or so, as does the 60LX. Yes, they cost twice as much as the OS 55. The nice part is they will still be running very well after you have purhased at least 2 and probably 3 or more OS engines. My little Jett 35 is still running strong going into 7 years of club racing, although relegated to backup this year. Yessssss, they are worth every penny in quality. My all time favorite to date is the 60LX, a 60 in a 40 frame that pulls a 8 to 9 pitch prop at around 20,000 and idle all day. Give one of these things a try, you will never go back .