RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flat spin = flame-out
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Balin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spin = flame-out

goony,

Thanks, I'll try your method to "double check" what I got today.

I reset the low end needle to 1.5 turns out (as per manual).

Started it up, set the high end. No problem. Got the idle to about 3200 and waited. The rpm slowly sank to about 2500, sonding a bit worse as it went. Then I gave it full throttle and it stumbled, shot drops of fuel (and smoke) out the exhaust. I figure the slowly diminishing rpm is the engine loading up and running richer. Any confirmation on that?

Screwed the idle needle 1/8 turn leaner and repeated with about the same results but a little improved transition.

When I got to where the idle screw was 1 full turn out I noticed (pretty sure on this) that the drop in rpm as I waited was less than before and the transition only had a bit of stumble.

One more 1/8 turn in. Started it up. Tthe idle sounded sooo smooth. The sag was just about nothing and the transition was perfect. I hope I am right, because I finally felt like I HEARD the engine. I richened it back out to 1 full turn for tomorrow's test flight.

Ignoring the high end bubbles for now. Lots of bubbles in the tank, on the surface, but it's not foam. Just big vibration air bubbles that go away as soon as the throttle is backed off. Could be getting in the line though.?

Balin