RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who knew what they were getting into with this hobby?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who knew what they were getting into with this hobby?

ErikElvis, I voted that I knew it was expensive, however I don't think the SPORT is expensive relatively to other sports and for what one can get out of the model aviation SPORT.
I started building models around 5 years old. Im now 72. First, they were just stick and tissue, plus solid models. Then came some "rubber powered" ???? and then gas CL. I mean GAS, the old time spark ignitions, and then into glow. I have never been wealthy, however I have been able to afford my basic needs and some family fun.
Compared to Bass Boats, Deer Hunting, select fishing trips, Golf and keeping school kids in the world of school sports, this Model Airplane Sport is CHEAP, especially after one gets into it for a few years.
After one gets to flying fairly well, IMO, one misses a whole 'nother part of the sport if one fails to build on his own. Actually, I think I rather build than fly.

Hang in there and do what YOU ENJOY. In this sport one does NOT have to stay ahead of the Joneses, or have the latest gadget someone is selling, to have many hours of enjoyment. It is YOUR hobby/sport so do what pleases YOU! That helps control costs unless you are a compulsive shopper, then look out big time. There is so much to HAVE!