RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ideas on power choice
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 03:49 PM
BSDGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas on power choice

Well, I started thinking differently, about how LIGHT I could go, and worked backward from there.

I came up with using an IPSD from GWS, running on 3 lithiums, with moderate gear and prop. I could get the weight WAY down by using 880 MaH Lipoly cells(and even using 1050 or 2000 or 2500 cells weren't bad), and in doing so, got the wing loading well below spec.

It will still climb at ~400 ft/min, it says, and run times while floating around are 20 to 40 minutes.

Mind you, this is still all hypothetical. I haven't built the model.

But, the point was, I was going to add some bracing and whatnot if I went "heavy" while building it, so I wanted something to shoot for while I built it. It generally makes sense to "go light" it seems, but not if the plane breaks in two in flight

For weight purposes, I'm cutting it back to 3 channels (saves ~1-1.5 oz) (two servos, wire, linkage, and extra building on the wing...), and going to use a little less plywood in a couple spots.

This has been fascinating reading. Hopefully what I'm soaking up on here will be meangingful when I achieve flight