RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Hog Bipe Build
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
r2champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Hog Bipe Build

ORIGINAL: grimmy55

Hi all I to am converted to this Hog bipe I,ve build the top wing when it came of the board it got that twist in it so weigted it down and out with the ammonia trick and when it was right I replaced the trailing edge with a 1/4X 3/4 hard wood spar that certainly held it firm .I,ve also used a hard wood spar in the top spar in lieu of the balsa hopeing this will increase the over all strength of the wing , Question what do you think of the idea of using servos in the top wing also this is just a thought ?I figure it would then be less of a hassle hooking things up at airfeild ,all I have to do is plug it all in ,I,ll be running a 90 f.s
Servos in the top wing would certainly be possible, but rather unecessary. The added weight would be the biggest reason for not doing so. Also, picture the following, a y-harness that controls your top wing aileron servos spanning between the fuselage and top wing dangling in the wind as you fly. You will most definately have to secure both ends to ensure the wind doesn't disconnect them. If you are concerned about set-up time, I find it hard to believe that plugging in the servo connectors and securing the wires will be more hassle than simply snapping 2 clevises. The most time consuming part of putting the plane together is screwing the nylon wing bolts and mounting the outer wing struts which you will have to do with or without servos in the top wing. I am not trying to discourage you, just shedding the light on the benefit of not going this route.

On a side note concerning the outer wing struts: if possible, leave the outer wing struts connected to the lower wing to and from the field. This way, when you get to the field, you will only have to install one screw per side, rather than 3. This will save you a few minutes every time you fly!