RCU Forums - View Single Post - worst engine ever
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: worst engine ever

Hi Ed

Isn't it funny, I've never had a problem with the OS40 FP. I've had two, both bought second-hand and both ran well. One had a slight castor stain on the cylinder. In an attempt to soften the oil prior to cleaning I put the engine in the oven. I then forgot about it. When I took the engine out of the oven, the oil had gone but so had all of the silver paint which OS use to paint their engines! Yet it still ran well.

I put it in one of those execrable Precedent Hi-Boys and sold the two of them with a radio for over £90 ($180) in an auction several years ago. Was I pleased!

I suppose OS produce thousands of engines so the occasional bad one might just slip through. With used engines you never know their history. Someone may have run them in too lean or damaged the caburettor in some way resulting in eratic running. I've never had a problem with any of the FPs.

About the down-wind turn Ed, what do you tell beginners about this manoevre? I normally say that the model will be travelling very rapidly on the down-wind leg but that the airflow over the control surfaces may be less than on the up-wind or cross wind legs, consequently requiring greater input from the pilot.

As always, it's a question of balancing elevator and rudder, (ailerons on a four channel model) and this ability is only acquired with experience.

Happy Landings

Dave Davis